Saturday 26 July 2014

Audiobook Reviews: The Importance of Being Earnest and A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde


The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, narrated by James Marsters, Charles Busch, Emily Bergl, Neil Dickson, Jill Gascoine, Christopher Neame and Matthew Wolf.
Although I've seen the movie, I'd never read - or listened to - the original play, so I was excited when I came across this audiobook performance on Audible. It didn't disappoint. I loved the story of mistaken identities, long-lost family and rich people's shenanigans, and the characters were all charming and endearing in their own way. The language is obviously gorgeous and witty, and it was brilliantly delivered by the actors in this edition. It all flowed really well and was just a delight to listen to.
Rating: 4/5

A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde, narrated by Miriam Margolyes, Samantha Mathis, Rosalind Ayres, Jane Carr, Judy Geeson and Martin Jarvis. 
After really enjoying The Importance of Being Earnest I was keen to give this audio a try, and while it was good, it wasn't great. It too has long-lost family, mistaken identities and rich people's shenanigans, but it just wasn't as fun. The characters weren't as compelling, and the story wasn't as engaging. The performances weren't as great here either, they FELT like performances rather than like you were listening to actual conversations between the characters. I was also surprised that several of the lines were exactly the same as those found in Earnest - of course, this came earlier and so Wilde must have reused them for Earnest, and they ARE great lines, but I didn't like the repeated use. I wouldn't listen to or read this again.
Rating: 3/5

12 comments:

  1. Oh no, I have 'A Woman of No Importance' but not 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in my audible collection. Maybe I should listen to A Woman, and then get Earnest, so that I go up in enjoyment, rather than staggering down a little like you unfortunately did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JAMES MASTERS?!?!?!!?!!?!?! DOES SPIKE NARRATE IT IN BRITISH?????? Cos otherwise it will be extremely unfabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The information you have provided is very unusually good
    I was very helpful at all with what you have shared this
    thank you for sharing this useful information.

    Cara Supaya Tidak Sakit Saat Berhubungan Seksual Cara Menyembuhkan Gagal Jantung Obat Penyakit Ginjal Kronis Khasiat Kulit Manggis Penyebab Diabetes Melitus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to be able to find this good article
    Honestly, this is one article that gives me incredible information and is very useful and very helpful
    maybe I will visit this site again to find other articles that can be useful for me :)

    Cara Mengeringkan Koreng Obat Pancingan Obat Kurarawit Obat Sakit Pinggang Akibat Kecetit Obat Rangen Obat Sekelan Di Ketiak Obat Leuncangeun

    ReplyDelete
  5. naon nya, duka erek ngetik naon ieu teh, bingung eung, bingung na duka kunaon puguh gen, da hayang ngetik wen, ngan duka erek ngetik naon ieu teh, bingung eung, bingung na duka kunaon puguh gen, da hayang ngetik wen, ngan duka erek ngetik naon ieu teh, bingung eung, bingung na duka kunaon puguh gen, da hayang ngetik wen

    Obat Osteoporosis Herbal Obat Penurun Tekanan Darah Tinggi yang Ampuh Cara Menyembuhkan Gatal pada Sela Jari Kaki dan Tangan Akibat Kutu Air Cara Mengobati Radang Usus Buntu Kronis Cara Menghilangkan Miom Di Rahim Secara Alami Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan Seperti Bisul Cara Menyembuhkan Eksim Cara Mengempeskan Benjolan Di Leher Secara Alami Cara Mengeluarkan Batu Ginjal Secara Alami Obat Sesak Nafas Reaksi Cepat untuk Asma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete