Tuesday 1 July 2014

Top Ten Classics I Love


1. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I adore the characters. They're all so wonderful and memorable.

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Because duh.

3. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I love it almost as much as Pride and Prejudice. Almost.

4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Beautiful and haunting.

5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I love the guts out of Jane and yes Rochester makes me swoon.

6. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Anne Shirley is one of my favourite characters of all time and her story makes me happy (except when it makes me really really sad).

7. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's such a lovely story about growing up and grieving and healing.

8. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. Magical. Sad. Scary. Fun. The best.

9. The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy. It's a fantastic decade-spanning story of the morally grey and always compelling Forsytes.

10. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. A wonderful mystery that's just a lot of fun to read.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. 

12 comments:

  1. P&P and Jane Eyre both made it onto my list as well! Frankenstein's a good pick, not one of my personal favourites but a very thought-provoking read. I haven't read The Woman in White but I think I might have to pick it up at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PETER PAN! I really, really want to read that one! I forgot that fairy tales and all that are classics, too!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, though you forgot Wuthering Heights :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I think Pride and Prejudice is on almost everyone's list it's just universally awesome!lol I really need to read Woman in White. It's my summer classic to-read.
    Here's my TT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really sad that I forgot to add North and South to my list. I wish I had read more classics when I was a young girl. GAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I used to read more classics than I do now. I should really get back to reading more!

      Delete
  6. ANNE SHIRLEY!!! Love that girl. And Gilbert. Oh Gilbert. I didn't care at all for Frankenstein, but perhaps part of that was having to do it at school. Same with North and South but I've been inspired by you to give the audiobook a go and see if I can change my stance on it now that I'm not being forced to study 19th century economics as well. PLUS, now I can picture Richard Armitage. And anytime one pictures Richard Armitage the world suddenly feels a lot more wonderful.

    Pride and Prejudice is no longer my favourite Austen, going back to it now - and again I studied the miniseries for school so I was a bit inundated by it - I just don't care at all for Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete